Modular Kitchen Types:
The name modular kitchen was initially invented in the year 1801. But the concept of the complete modular kitchen came into existence in the year 1960 by the company called Snaidero in Italy.
Main goal of the modular kitchen is to give proper accessibility and functionality. So Interior Designers and architects across the globe came up with extraordinary solutions with technology advancement.
Initially the concept got evolved in European countries in the mid 1960’s and the main it got evolved to the United states and other continents in early 1970’s.
Finally modular kitchen ideas reached Asian Countries in late 1990’s. But those days, modular kitchens in India were meant for only rich and affluent people. Currently everything has changed.
Consequently everyone started to install modular kitchens because interior designing companies offered them at affordable prices.
Materials used to make modular kitchen:
The most important materials used in modular kitchens are plywoods, usually traditional designs are made with softwood and hardwood.
Due to technological advancement, interior design companies started to make modular kitchens in plywoods.
Our Interior Designers in chennai use ISO Graded Materials for your home interiors
Usually interior designers use 3 ply, 5 Ply and Multi Ply plywoods for kitchens. But specifically companies use Multiply plywoods for the kitchens frames for long lasting results.
Multiply plywoods will have 7+ veneer layers, which are comparatively stronger than plywood and softwood.
Plywood manufacturers across the world took the manufacturing process into the next stage. Some of the recent plywood advancements are
- Zero Emission Plywoods
- Fire Retardant and 100% Anti Flare Plywoods
- Anti Bacterial and Viral Plywoods.
- Compressing Shape plywoods, which is used to prepare modern plywoods.
Cabinets, Drawers and Shelves are equally important to complete the modular kitchen. Cabinets are made in different types and shapes some of them are
- Base or Lower Cabinets
- Upper Cabinets, sometimes called as wall cabinets
- Pantry or Tall Cabinets and
- Utensil Drawers.
Cabinets Sizes and dimensions are equally important for proper alignment in a modular kitchen. Some of the cabinets dimensions are as follows
- Base Cabinets : Height with and without countertops can be 32’ inches and 33’ Inches
- Base Cabinets Depth : Depth with and without countertops can be 22.8’ and 24’ inches
Here the standard dimensions of overhead cabinets are heights 26’ inches and depth can be 14’ inches and the width can be 19’ and 24’ inches.
For Standard Dimension for Tall Kitchens are
- Height & Tall can be 83’ to 85’ inches
- Depth can be 22’ to 25’ inches.
- Width or Wider cannot exceed 24’ to 26’
Laminates are considered as the most important material in developing modular kitchens. Laminates protect the plywoods and softwoods of the modular kitchen. Without laminates the durability of the kitchens layout cannot stay strong upto 25 years.
Laminates manufacturers design 1000’s of laminates, but I will suggest to you some of the most important and commonly used laminates.
- Matte Finish Laminate
- Textured Laminate
- Gloss Finish Laminate
- Metallic Laminate
- PVC Laminates
- Acrylic Finish Laminates
- Exterior Laminate
Indeed laminates manufacturers use some advanced technology to make them fire retardant, zero emission, Anti Scratch and most importantly AntiViral and Anti Bacterial protection.
Let’s discuss modular kitchen types and its uses.
Here are the list of kitchen layouts
- Straight Modular Kitchen
- ‘L’ Shaped Modular Kitchen
- ‘U’ Shaped Kitchen Layout
- Parallel Shaped Kitchen or Galley Kitchen Layout
- Island Modular Kitchen
Straight Modular Kitchen:
The most basic and powerful kitchen layout is a straight modular kitchen. Almost 50% of modular kitchen across the globe is made in straight or Studio Kitchen.
Specifically this design layout is meant for some basic purposes, we cannot have multiple storage concepts. Space utilization is considered as an advantage as well as disadvantage of using straight layout.
Apart from storage, we have functionality problems as well. Homeowners cannot have HOB or Triangle concepts.
Some of the Features of Straight Modular Kitchens are
- Comparably this model is more affordable and cost efficient.
- We can install this kitchen in any space, like 1 BHK and studio apartments.
- Traffic of straight layout is limited, since we have a two way entrance we can manage the walkable traffic.
The only disadvantage of using straight design is space, so that we cannot add more drawers, shelves and cabinets.
Dimensions of Straight Modular Kitchens:
- On an average the kitchen dimensions can be 8 ft long, 2 ft Width and Height can be upto 7ft.
- Chimney attachment is possible
- Stove and utensil storage
- Cooking space can be attached either in the left hand or right hand side.
‘L’ Shaped Modular Kitchen:
‘L’ Shaped kitchens are a little bit costlier than straight models but affordable too. This type of modular kitchen provides you some add-on storage space. We can get more functionality as well as performance from this model.
Indeed the most important functionality this model provides is, it gives us HOB or Triangle functionality. At the same time this design can give you multiple entrances to avoid traffic.
We can upgrade or degrade L Shaped layout based on our need and want. Apart from that we get more storage facilities in this model.
Some of the main features of ‘L’ Shape Modular Kitchens are
- Slightly costly but still affordable.
- Can add more storage facility by adding more drawers, shelves and cabinets
- Kitchen Layout will require more than space to increase storage capacity
- HOB Triangle works perfectly
The L Shape kitchen has a few disadvantages too. Layout will ask for more space, we must optimize it properly, or else the design will take over positive space.
Dimensions of ‘L’ Shape Kitchens:
- Standard size is Length 8 to 13 meters for primary sector, and the secondary length can be upto 8 to 10 meters.
- Overall you need at least 110 to 150 sq ft to install ‘L’ Shaped kitchens.
- Normal Height can go upto 7 ft to 8 ft.
Basically this model requires more cabinets and shelves, so we must make customized cabinets which can be optimized perfectly to fit in there.
Accessories for ‘L’ Shape Kitchens are:
- Advanced cabinets for proper multi function storey.
- Detergent holder, Trolly with wheels, advanced washing machine bonet etc.,
‘U’ Shaped Modular Kitchens:
This model is considered a luxury one but due to the manufacturing advancement, interior designers made this model more affordable.
U Shaped Modular kitchens were more popular in the United states and European countries, but in recent times we are seeing tremendous popularity in india.
We must use a space element to balance the positive and negative space in the kitchen area. Apparently this model needs more space because it has two main frames which face each other.
Features of Installing ‘U’ Shaped Kitchen are:
- Gives lot of control over the kitchen
- Comes with extraordinary styles and designs
- HOB or Triangle workspace is easy to make.
- Can install more than 30 to 50 cabinets in countertop, frame basements.
- Cost is slightly high but each penny we spend is worth it.
- We can integrate the washing machine, fridge, oven and dishwasher inside the modular kitchen.
Dimensions of ‘U’ Shape Modular Kitchen:
- Usual dimension of ‘U’ Shape kitchen is 10 * 9.5 ft. U Shape kitchens always need some extra space, we must occupy our complete kitchen area.
- Length of both the sides should be 3.15 to 4.15 meters and the width must be around 3.2 meters on both the sides.
Parallel shaped Modular Kitchens:
Parallel type kitchens are considered as the most important and comfortable modular kitchens ever made.
When compared with other types of kitchen, parallel kitchens are performance and stylish oriented. And we can customize the designs based on our need and want, it can be upgraded and downgraded whenever we want.
In Fact Parallel kitchens give you perfect HOB and Triangle workspace. As per the IAG research when a Triangle workspace is correctly installed the preparation of dishes timing are reduced 20 to 25%.
At the same time food quality and taste are increased by 30 to 40% because of proper food preparation time.
Features of Parallel Shaped Kitchen:
- Provides you extraordinary space and we can increase our storage capacity to 40% when compared with a straight and ‘L’ Shaped layout.
- Homeowners should integrate their washing machine, fridge, sink, dishwasher, oven, gas stove and so on for a decent and hygienic cook space.
Dimensions of Parallel Shaped Kitchens:
- Average dimensions are 4 meter length on either side. By maximum height we can elevate counter tops up upto 7 to 8 ft.
Island Modular Kitchen:
It’s a Dream Kitchen Layout for many homeowners. These kitchens are seen in cinemas, shopping malls and pubs as well.
Island modular kitchens are considered as Luxury models and its major installers are upper and affluent people.
Comparably the cost of island layout is higher than the above kitchen models. This model can increase the beauty of your kitchen.
therefore this model is great for keeping your utensils and kitchen appliances in one place.
Nothing to worry about less space, as a matter of fact we must implement a Space element to manage the kitchen space.
Features of Island Kitchen:
- Functional HOB or Triangle Workspace is easy to install.
- Peninsula shape which is separated from the main kitchen can also be used as a dining table.
- We can install multi storage cabinets, shelves and drawers. And Upgrades and Downgrades are very easy and fast.
- Just elevate the beauty of your home interiors.
Dimensions of Island Kitchen:
- Sizes and Dimensions are similar to U Shaped and Parallel kitchen, the only additional features we get in this model is island diner.
- Modular layout has various shapes like inline diner, outer diner, without parallel diner etc.
Indeed Interior designers and architects need extra knowledge and effort to make a modular kitchen. The reason around 50% of interior designers avoid modular kitchens.
If you are looking to install a modular layout for your home, then the above information is very important to you.