Constantly rising fuel prices and the sight of diminished profits are stress-inducing for all fleet businesses. While we are not in control of the fuel price, fleet owners can reduce their fuel consumption with the help of a great fleet management system.
A fleet management software has solutions catered towards the managers monitoring fuel expenses. They can come up with ways of reducing their unnecessary expenditures.
What is Fuel Management Solution
The small daily habits of drivers often lead to increased fuel consumption. When managers are in control, this consumption is diminished significantly. Some of the features of the fuel management solution are:
- Rapid refill/drainage alert – This feature helps managers track when fuel is purchased as the fuel level goes up suddenly. In the case of drainage, there is a possibility of pilferage or tank leakage that can be investigated.
- Real-time fuel tracking – Constant study of fuel levels helps managers calculate the average fuel a vehicle consumes. If these levels exceed the normal range, a check for issues with the vehicle can be conducted. This will help in the detection of problems at an early stage.
- Vehicle maintenance alerts – The software alerts the managers of all the maintenance processes due for all vehicles. Neglected vehicles tend to use more energy than necessary therefore this feature helps with fuel conservation.
- Driver behaviour – Monitoring the driving practices of drivers helps reduce instances of fuel-wasting activities. These include idling, acceleration, overspeeding, harsh cornering and sudden braking. When one of these events takes place, the managers can take action to correct the driver.
Why is Fuel Management necessary?
Fuel management can be very beneficial for any business if used correctly. Some of these benefits are:
- Less fuel wastage – When fuel consumption of vehicles is monitored at all times, the instances of wastage are decreased. This is because all unethical driving practices are tracked and stopped as quickly as possible, also reducing carbon emissions.
- Reduced Cost – With fuel consumption coming down, the expenditure of the fleet also diminishes. This helps the fleet owners to make more profits than before.
- No-more fuel theft – A good fleet management software helps cut down on unethical pilferage which can happen by faking invoices, direct fuel theft from the tank and faulty odometer.
- Insightful reports – Over time, the data collected by the system can be used to come up with rules and regulations that are beneficial to the fleet. Routes and vehicles can be selected for tasks based on their conditions and performance.
Fuel Monitoring as a part of Fleet Management
Fuel monitoring alone can be a very useful tool for fleet businesses but its potential increases when used with all the other features of the system. Route monitoring and driver behaviour analysis both can come in handy for this:
- Route planning – This allows managers to form a tour after entering the halts that will be the most economical. They also make sure that no two paths overlap so that the maximum area can be covered by the fleet with the least amount of fuel consumed.
- Route deviation – This feature makes sure that the driver does not deviate from the route that has been fixed by the manager. An alert is sent out as soon as the driver does so. Thus, this eliminates the possibility of the driver wasting fuel by deliberately taking longer routes to complete a task.
- Driver behaviour – This helps monitor the driving practices of drivers and reduces instances of fuel-wasting activities. These include idling, acceleration, overspeeding, harsh cornering and sudden braking. When one of these events takes place, the managers can take action to correct the driver.
We understand just how frustrating the cost management of a fleet can be!
Fleet management is not easy, especially when the chances of human error are so high. This is where good GPS tracking software comes into play. It helps you reduce costs and also avoid fuel wastage.
With solutions like Driver management, Fuel management and Route planning, Trackobit is one of the best fleet management software in the market and it can be the perfect match for your business.